Saturday, March 7, 2009

Wall Pockets

I discovered wall pockets a while back and fell in love with them.  Wall pockets were popular in the early and mid 1900's.  They come in every style and design that you can imagine.  I'm sure you can see why I choose to buy these two guys.  
This one I picked up for $5.  I should have taken a before photo to show you.  When I brought him home he had an acrylic painted orange beak and black eye painted over the glaze.  The acrylic paint was all scratched and peeling off.  I scrapped the rest of the paint off and gave him a fresh new look.  He looks much more elegant to me now.  
This is my special bird pocket.  It's Czech pottery.  I bought this from a man at the Allen County Fairgrounds Antique Show last summer.  It was a real find at $10.  There is a whole series to these pockets and I see them on Ebay for 5 times as much money.  I'd love to have more of them but for now I'll just enjoy my one until I find another deal.   

I have yet to hang them on the wall.  I'll make a grouping of them soon.  

1 comment:

Jen said...

These will make a nice addition to your bird collection.